There are many factors causing dry hair problems. It may be because of your dry scalp not producing enough sebum or may be your genes.But most of all, the main reason is the way we treat our hair. The main culprits are hair iron, straighteners, hair blowers, extreme sun’s heat and our shampooing habits. Hair color and extreme styling can have a harsh effect on the scalp and the hair cuticle and makes the hair rough and dry.
Every woman dreams of having a soft and lustrous hair. Though the genetic and certain internal factors such as cancer treatment cannot be permanently resolved, external factors have solutions.
- Egg is the best available remedy for hair. If you have oily hair, then egg whites help you solve your problem. On the contrast if you have dry hair, then you have to go for the yolk. Mix raw egg yolk with one table spoon of lemon juice, apply this mixture to scalp and hair. Leave it for about 10-15 minutes and wash with mild shampoo. Repeat this for every 3-4 days for best results.
- You may apply yogurt or curd before shampooing or you may even use it as a conditioner. If you want to use before shampooing, apply it to your hair and scalp, leave until it is dry and then wash off. If you want to use as a conditioner, then apply it to damp hair after shampooing, leave it for 5 minutes and just wash with plain water without using shampoo again. You may repeat doing this every time you wash your hair.
- Do not use hair irons and blow dryers more often. They make your hair lose the moisture and damages the cuticle
- Covering your hair using a scarf or hat while you are out in hot sun or bad wind protects your hair from getting damaged.
- Taking plenty of water and juices every day helps you regain the lost moisture in your hair.
- Take protein rich food in your diet regularly.
- Olive oil or almond oil work wonders in treating dry hair. Mix a few drops of lemon juice in oil and apply to hair and scalp a few minutes before you wash hair.
- While you are in swimming pool, wear a swim cap as the chlorine and other chemicals are harsh to hair.
- Avoid using hair dyes or hair perms.
- Check whether your water is high in mineral content as washing hair with such water makes hair rough and dry.
- After shampooing, use apple cider vinegar as a conditioner rather than other conditioners. Apply small quantity to the moist hair and scalp, gently massage, leave for 5 mins and rinse off with plain water. It is the best cure for cuticle damage.
- Eat apples and other fruits daily.